Monday, September 14, 2009

The King is Dead, Long Live the King

In a simply amazing display of grit and skill, the 6th ranked man in the world, Juan Martin Del Potro, did what no one before him could; beat Roger Federer in a U.S. Open Final. After being down 2 sets to 1 and a break in the fourth, Del Potro stormed back courtesy of a monster forehand to secure a 3-6, 7-6, 4-6, 7-6, 6-2 victory. He is only the second man to ever beat Roger Federer in a Grand Slam final (Rafa being the first).

Now, considering how closely you all follow tennis and my posts specifically, I am sure you've already noticed this, but I thought I would point it out before anyone else did. This is what I said in my blog post written at the beginning of the US Open regarding the newly crowned Champion Juan Martin Del Potro:
"You've never heard of him. Though he's been arguably the second best player this summer (behind Murray) and has a chance to go far, he ain't gonna win it."
I'm an idiot. That said, the 20 year-old Argentine simply played out of his mind. It took him 3 sets or so to forget that he was playing arguably the best player in the history of the sport in the largest stadium on the planet for the biggest title of his life, but once he got over that little hurdle, he won it handily.


No comments: